This award will be offered for student research covering any topic related to fungal biology (and organisms traditionally studied by mycologists) including: medical mycology, cell biology, physiology, systematics, evolution, genomics and ecology. The undergraduate student awardee will conduct independent or directed research under the guidance of a research mentor. This award is open to all undergraduate students with sophomore, junior, or senior standing.
Application deadline: February 15th before midnight Pacific Time.
Award Amount: $500
(1) Applicants must be an undergraduate student with sophomore, junior, or senior standing who is conducting research on a fungal biology topic.
(2) Applicants must have the support of a faculty mentor.
(3) We encourage applicants to become MSA members at the time of the award application.
(1) Application Form.
(2) A curriculum vitae that includes at least (maximum 2 pages):
a) Name, contact address, email address, and phone number.
b) Education and professional history (including career plans and a paragraph regarding training for the proposed work).
c) Previous awards and honors.
d) Publications and other significant professional output.
e) Service if available.
(3) A plan of study. The text of this plan of study must be no longer than 2 pages including tables, figures, but not references. Applications that include proposals exceeding the 2-page limit will not be considered. The text of this proposal should be single-spaced and printed in a regular sized font (10 cpi or 12 point) with one inch margins on all sides, section headings and double spacing between paragraphs may be used to make your proposal easier to read. A suggested organization of the proposal is:
a) Introduction: explains what you want to do
c) Methods: demonstrates that the project is feasible and describes how the study will be conducted.
d) Significance and preliminary results, if available (be concise in your explanation).
e) Budget and budget justification. Include a brief list of expenses or statement of how the funds will be used.
(4) School transcripts showing courses taken and grades received for all institutions where they received credit toward their current degree to be conferred. A PDF of an official transcript is acceptable.
(5) A letter of recommendation from the research mentor. The reference letter should be sent directly by the individual writing the letter, not the applicant.
To apply: Send one copy of your complete application, including items 1-4 listed above, in electronic format as a single PDF file to: email@example.com. The application file should be organized in the same order as described in “Documents Required” and should not exceed more than 8 MB. The file name should contain: the last name of the applicant -“award name” Application (e.g. Smith-Undergraduate Application). Confidential letters of reference should be sent separately to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of reference file name should contain: the last name of the applicant-award name-referee letter (e.g. Smith-Undergraduate-Jackson Letter). The application will be considered to have arrived once all electronic files have been received by the deadline. All documents must be in English to be considered.
Note: Applicants can expect a notification email from the Awards Committee regarding the outcome of their application within approximately 45 days of the application deadline, in time to register for the annual MSA meeting. We expect all award winners to make every effort to attend the MSA annual meeting, and encourage all applicants to concurrently apply for an MSA Travel Award in support of that. Presence at the MSA meeting to accept the award give awardees the opportunity to meet the mycological community, and it gives MSA members an opportunity to meet up the awardees.
(1) All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a picture (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please send your bio and picture to the MSA Award Coordinator. The biographies will be published in Inoculum.
(2) The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
(3) Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form (this form will be provided with the check). This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number. The W-9 form needs to be filled out right after the award ceremony or sent to the MSA treasurer within two weeks of receiving your award.
(4) Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
(5) Each awardee will contribute a short article about their research to MSA within a year of receiving the award. The articles should be written for a general audience and will be published in Inoculum or other MSA venues (e.g. MSA website). This will be a great opportunity to promote your research to the MSA community. Articles and pictures should be sent to the Awards Coordinator by email as a word document.
(6) Please acknowledge MSA in any products that result from this support (e.g., poster presentations, oral presentations, and scientific articles).
Find list of past awardees at: http://msafungi.org/AWARDS/PASTMSAAWARDEES.aspx
To download the Application Form click HERE.