Awarded annually to an outstanding teacher of mycology at the undergraduate and or graduate levels.
Application deadline: February 15th before midnight Pacific Time.
(1) The nominee must be a current member of the MSA.
(2) An individual may receive the Weston Award only once.
(3) Self-nomination is not allowed.
(4) Nominators must be members of the MSA.
(5) Nominees who are not chosen for the prize in the year in which they are nominated will be reconsidered for up to two additional years. The Distinctions Committee Chairperson will request updates of the nominee's materials.
Documents required: The nomination package should contain:
(1) A current curriculum vitae, including lists of a) courses taught in mycology, plant pathology or related areas, b) publications related to the teaching of mycology, c) teaching seminars, symposia or workshops given by the nominee to either lay or academic groups and, d) memberships on national, regional, state or local committees, panels, etc., on teaching.
(2) A list of graduate students with thesis titles, degrees and dates, publications, and current addresses (where known), or explanation for the absence of such.
(3) A statement from the nominee on teaching philosophy, i.e., what the nominee personally believes it takes to make an excellent teacher, what the nominee is trying to accomplish in teaching mycology, and how various teaching techniques and strategies help to accomplish this goal.
(4) A list of previous awards or recognition for outstanding teaching.
(5) Evaluation of the nominee's teaching, including a) solicited and unsolicited letters from students and colleagues who have taken or audited the nominee's courses, or been supervised by the nominee, b) course evaluation forms (or numerical summaries thereof) and c) any other information documenting teaching excellence.
To apply: The nominator should prepare a single electronic file, preferably in PDF format, containing all of the items listed above and email it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading WILLIAM H. WESTON AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING.
Note: The committee may choose to make no award in a given year, if it is appropriate. Presentation of the award, a plaque, will take place at the awards ceremony during the annual meeting of the MSA. The recipient will be notified in time to plan to attend the presentation. The name of the winner of the award will be published in the annual meeting program and in Inoculum.