Postdoctoral position in mycorrhizal ecology at Texas Tech University
12/16/2016 2:45 PM
A Postdoctoral Research Associate positon is available in the Sharma Lab at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, Texas, U.S.A. We seek a highly motivated individual with a Ph.D. to participate in an NSF funded project (http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1355155) that is exploring the role of plant-fungal interactions in explaining plant species distributions in a tropical rainforest in Costa Rica. The research team includes scientists from the University of New Mexico, the University of Hawaii, and the University of Costa Rica. This position is based in Lubbock, TX, but intense field work will be required during the rainy season in Costa Rica (typically 3-4 weeks per year).
Competitive candidates will possess the following attributes:
1. A record of achievement in fungal molecular ecology, orchid mycorrhizal ecology, metagenomics, community ecology, evolutionary ecology, and / or ecological phylogenetics.
2. Extensive laboratory molecular ecology experience and strong quantitative analytical skills (bioinformatics and multivariate statistical analyses).
3. Demonstrated proficiency in communicating research results (i.e., peer reviewed publications and scientific presentations).
4. Strong time management and organizational skills, with an ability to manage a number of competing priorities.
5. Enthusiasm for intense work schedules in the laboratory and in challenging field conditions. Strong capacity to undertake lab work independently and also interact productively with project PIs and personnel.
6. Leadership and initiative in developing creative and relevant research proposals and projects.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Duration: Two+ years, but contingent upon satisfactory research performance.
Application: Please submit the following in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line of the e-mail and the PDF file name should read - 'Applicant last name_postdoc'
1. Cover letter
2. A brief description of past research accomplishments and future research goals (under two pages)
3. Curriculum Vitae along with reprints of no more than four most relevant publications
4. Names and contact information for three academic references, including the Ph.D. advisor.
Timeline: Review of applications will begin on 20 January 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. The targeted start date is 15 March 2017, but is somewhat flexible. Strong applicants will be contacted to schedule an informal Skype interview.