Each year during the annual meeting, MSA recognizes the best oral and poster presentations of graduate and undergraduate students. Two MSA Graduate Research Prizes of $200 each are awarded annually to the two best oral research papers in mycology presented by graduate students at the annual MSA meeting. Two MSA Graduate Research Prizes of $200 each are awarded annually to the two best posters in mycology presented by graduate students at the annual MSA meeting. Best undergraduate presentations are also recognized with a one oral poster award ($100) and one best oral poster award ($100).
Award amount: $100-$200
Application deadline: Students will be selected at the MSA Annual Meeting each year.
(1) The applicant must be a member of the MSA.
(2) Persons eligible for a Graduate Research Prize are M.Sc. or Ph.D. candidates or those who have been awarded the degree within one year of the annual meeting.
(3) Previous recipients of either category of Best Graduate or Undergraduate Best Presentation Award are not eligible for a second award.
An individual should apply for consideration for Best Presentation Award by indicating on the Abstract Submission Form for the MSA annual meeting. Application may be made for either but not both categories of Graduate Research Best Presentation Awards. A student can apply for and receive both a Research, Travel or Student Award and a Best Oral Presentation Award.
(1) All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a picture (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please send your bio and picture to the MSA Awards Coordinator. The biographies will be published in Inoculum.
(2) The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
(3) Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form (this form will be provided with the check). This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number. The W-9 form needs to be filled out right after the award ceremony or sent to the MSA treasurer within two weeks of receiving your award.
(4) Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
Find list of past awardees at: http://msafungi.org/AWARDS/PASTMSAAWARDEES.aspx