C. J. Alexopoulos Prize
Awarded annually to an outstanding mycologist early in their career. The nominees will be evaluated primarily on the basis of quality, originality, and quantity of their published work.
Application deadline: February 15, annually
- The nominee must be a current member of the MSA.
- Nominees must have received their last degree within the ten year period immediately preceding January 1st of the year in which the award is given.
- An individual may receive the Alexopoulos Award only once.
- Self nomination is not allowed.
- Nominators must be members of the MSA.
- Nominees who are not chosen for the prize in the year in which they are nominated will be reconsidered for up to two additional years (within the 10-year limit). The MSA Distinctions Committee Chairperson will request updates of the nominee’s materials.
Documents required: The nomination folder should contain:
- A nominating letter, including a detailed evaluation of the nominee’s contributions to Mycology.
- A current curriculum vitae, including a list of the nominee’s publications.
- Reprints of the nominee’s 5 most significant papers.
- Up to five additional letters of support.
The nominator should a) prepare a single electronic file, preferably in pdf format, containing all of the items listed above and email it as an attachment; or b) prepare as much as possible electronically in one email with attachments followed by FAX or hard copy of the non-electronic portions; and send all to the Chair of the MSA Distinctions Committee.
Note: The award consists of a plaque and a monetary award derived from the annual interest on the principle deposited in the MSA Alexopoulos Fund or $1000, whichever is greater. The Committee may choose to make no award in a given year, if it is appropriate. Presentation of the award will take place at the awards ceremony during the Breakfast and Business Meeting at the annual meeting of the MSA. The recipient will be notified in time to plan to attend the presentation. The name of the winner of the award will be published in the annual meeting program and in Inoculum.
|2012||Anne Elizabeth Arnold|
|2000||David S. Hibbett|
|1996||James White, Jr.|
|1994||Thomas D. Bruns|
|1993||Keith A. Seifert|
|1992||Gregory M. Mueller|
|1991||Dean A. Glawe|
|1989||Linda M. Kohn|
|1987||James B. Anderson|
|1986||John W. Taylor|