Special Topics Awards
This award supports studies on fungal ecology and biotechnology including the use of fungi to solve environmental, industrial or medical problems, advancing better solutions than currently practiced.
Application deadline: September 30th, 2018
Award amount: We anticipate granting several awards ranging from $2,000-$10,000 each.
(1) Applicants must be current members of MSA or must have applied for membership at the time of the award application.
(2) Research must cover one of the topics in the call for awards. The committee will consider related topics in fungal ecology and biotechnology but priority will be given to the topics listed in the award call, which include:
a) Importance of fungi in sustaining natural ecosystems and human's use of those ecosystems
c) Uses of fungi for human and animal health including but not limited to fungal microbiomes and fungal metabolites
d) Sustainable and renewable bioproducts and bioenergy from natural materials
(1) Application Form.
(2) A curriculum vitae that includes at least (maximum 3 pages):
a) Name, contact address, email address, and phone number.
b) Education and professional history.
c) Previous awards and honors.
d) Publications and other significant professional output if available.
e) Service if available.
(3) A detailed plan of study. The text of this plan of study must be no longer than 5 pages; including tables, figures, and references. Applications that include proposals exceeding the 5-page limit will not be considered. The text of this proposal should be single-spaced and printed in a regular sized font (10 cpi or 12 point) with one inch margins on all sides, section headings and double spacing between paragraphs may be used to make your proposal easier to read. The proposal must include:
a) Abstract (200-250 words.
b) Introduction: explains what you want to do and why it is interesting or important.
d) Methods: demonstrates that the project is feasible and describes how the study will be conducted.
e) Significance and preliminary results, if available (be concise in your explanation)
f) Budget and budget justification. Include in this section a timeline to complete the proposal (generally one year) and a plan for dissemination of results.
To apply: Send one copy of your complete application, including items 1-3 listed above, in electronic format as a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application file should be organized in the same order as described in “Documents Required” and should not exceed more than 8 MB. The file name should contain: the last name of the applicant -“award name” Application (e.g. Smith-Translational Application). All documents must be in English to be considered.
Note: Applicants can expect a notification email from the Awards Committee regarding the outcome of their application within approximately 45 days of the application deadline.
(1) All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a picture (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please send your bio and picture to the MSA Awards Coordinator. The biographies will be published in Inoculum.
(2) The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
(3) Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form (this form will be provided with the check). This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number. The W-9 form needs to be filled out right after the award ceremony or sent to the MSA treasurer within two weeks of receiving your award.
(4) Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
(5) Each awardee will contribute a short article about their research to MSA within a year of receiving the award. The articles should be written for a general audience and will be published in Inoculum or other MSA venues (e.g. MSA website). This will be a great opportunity to promote your research to the MSA community. Articles and pictures should be sent to the Awards Coordinator by email as a word document.
(6) Please acknowledge MSA in any products that result from this support (e.g., poster presentations, oral presentations, and scientific articles).
Find list of past awardees at: http://msafungi.org/AWARDS/PASTMSAAWARDEES.aspx
To download the Application Form click HERE.