Research Biotechnologist position at Cargill
11/29/2015 6:32 AM
WAY05240 Research Biotechnologist (2 Year Assignment)
Cargill's Biotechnology Research and Development Group (Bio R&D) develops new products and improves processes for the food, feed, and industrial segments of Cargill. The Bio R&D group is a global R&D team that enables Cargill to fully benefit from advances in enzyme and microbial biotechnology.
Cargill’s Bio R&D organization is hiring a Research Biotechnologist with experience in fungal genetics and molecular biology for a position that will generate improved strains of filamentous fungi used in the production of biochemicals. The position involves the ability to independently design, synthesize and assemble genetic constructs and accurately integrate these into fungal strains as well as design and execute mutagenesis and selection approaches. The position will also carry out evaluations of fungal strains by DNA sequence and structure analysis, RNA expression analysis, and enzyme assays, develop and optimize methods for strain construction and evaluation, evaluate strains for performance characteristics at a range of small scales (microplate to shake flask). The incumbent will be expected to collect, organize, interpret data, and develop next steps, report results in written form, and provide summaries of work and interpretation of results to the project group in prepared presentations.
The incumbent for this position will be working to support funded projects for approximately two (2) years. We will evaluate the future need for this position at the conclusion of this assignment, and at that time, if there is a need for the same or a similar position on an ongoing basis, that need will be evaluated, and a position will be posted. The incumbent for this position, like other Cargill employees, will be an "at-will" employee and there is no guarantee of employment through the duration of the project or any stated period.
- 60% Execute on experimental work plans. Design and construct gene expression and knockout genetic constructs, and use them to build new filamentous fungal strains by genetic engineering. May also involve fungal strain optimization through mutagenesis and selection.
- 15% Evaluate new strains using small scale cultures (microplates to shake flasks) for performance. Also use DNA sequence analysis, hybridization technologies, qualitative and quantitative PCR, enzyme assays for strain characterization
- 10% Collect, organize, and evaluate data, write reports, develop testable hypotheses, plan experimental activities
- 10% Stay current with scientific literature, patents, etc
- 5% Prepare and present summaries of data to strain development group and to the larger project team
- (Ph.D) or (Masters Degree and 1+ years of experience) or (Bachelors Degree and 3+ years of experience), emphasis in a Biological Sciences Discipline
- Hands on lab expertise in molecular biology, gene cloning and assembly, PCR
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in filamentous fungal genetics and molecular biology
- Experience with DNA sequence analysis tools and vector constructions programs
- Excellent knowledge of cell biology, genetics, and molecular biology
- Commercial or Industrial biotechnology R&D lab experience
- Advanced degree in a biotechnology related field with an emphasis on microbial biotechnology
- Experience with metabolic pathway engineering of filamentous fungi
- Hands on experience in QPCR, genome editing, library construction, and/or site directed mutagenesis
- Hands on experience in enzyme assays and kinetic measurements
- Ability to work effectively with others in a cross functional team environment while demonstrating initiative and independent judgement.
- Clear and timely communication of ideas, results and conclusions in both written and verbal formats.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 155,000 employees in 68 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com
please apply online at https://cargill.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&src=REF-12&job=WAY05240