Awarded annually to an individual who has established an outstanding mycological career. This is one of the highest awards bestowed by the MSA and marks a distinguished career. Nominees for the award will be evaluated on the basis of quality, originality, and quantity of their published research, and on the basis of service to the MSA or to the field of mycology in general.
Application deadline: February 15th before midnight Pacific Time.
(1) The nominee must be a current member of MSA or eligible for emeritus membership.
(2) The nominee must have received his or her terminal degree at least twenty years prior to January 1 of the year in which the award is given. There is no requirement for a minimum age or impending or actual retirement. Honorary degrees shall not be considered in determining the time interval.
(3) An individual may receive the Distinguished Mycologist Award only once.
(4) Self-nomination is not allowed.
(5) Nominators must be members of the MSA.
(6) Nominees who are not chosen for the award in the year in which they are nominated will be reconsidered for up to two additional years. The Distinctions Committee Chairperson will request updates of the nominee's materials.
Documents required: The nomination package should contain:
(1) A nominating letter, including a detailed evaluation of the nominee's outstanding contributions to Mycology.
(2) A current curriculum vitae, including a list of the nominee's publications.
(3) Up to five additional letters of support.
To apply: The nominator should prepare a single electronic file, preferably in PDF format, containing all of the items listed above and email it as an attachment to: email@example.com with a subject heading of DISTINGUISHED MYCOLOGIST AWARD.
Note: Presentation of the award, a plaque, will take place at the awards ceremony during the annual meeting of the MSA. The recipient will be notified in time to plan to attend the presentation. The name of the winner of the award will be published in the annual meeting program and in Inoculum.