C.J. Alexopoulos Prize
C.J. Alexopoulos Prize
Awarded annually to an outstanding mycologist early in their career. The nominees will be evaluated primarily on the basis of quality, originality, and quantity of their published work.
Application deadline: February 15th before midnight Pacific Time.
- The nominee or applicant must be a current member of the MSA.
- Nominees or applicants must have received their last degree within the ten-year period immediately preceding January 1st of the year in which the award is given. This period of eligibility can be extended by time taken for family or medical leave.
- An individual may receive the Alexopoulos Award only once.
- Self-nomination is allowed.
- Nominators must be members of the MSA.
- Nominees who are not chosen for the prize in the year in which they are nominated will be reconsidered for up to two additional years (within the 10-year limit). The Distinctions Committee Chairperson will request updates of the nominee’s materials.
Documents required: The nomination package should contain:
- A nominating letter, or letter by applicant, including a detailed evaluation of the nominee’s contributions to Mycology
- A current curriculum vitae, including a list of the nominee’s publications
- Reprints of the nominee’s 5 most significant papers
- Up to five additional letters of support
To apply: The nominator or applicant should prepare a single electronic file, preferably in PDF format, containing all of the items listed above and email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “C. J. Alexopoulos Prize”. Reprints may be sent as separate attachments along with the PDF file.
Note: The award consists of a plaque and a monetary award derived from either the annual interest on the principle deposited in the MSA Alexopoulos Fund or $1,000, whichever is greater. The committee may choose to make no award in a given year, if it is appropriate. Presentation of the award will take place at the awards ceremony during the annual meeting of the MSA. The recipient will be notified in time to plan to attend the presentation. The name of the winner of the award will be published in the annual meeting program and in Inoculum.
Diversity Statement: MSA encourages and welcomes nominations of all individuals regardless of race and ethnicity, country of origin, sex, gender identity, religion, age, education level, socioeconomic status, marital status, parental status, physical ability, neurological differences, political affiliation, and sexual orientation. See full MSA Diversity statement here.
See a list of past MSA awardees.