Lab Assistant – North Spore
At North Spore we want to make the world of mushrooms accessible to everyone, and we’re looking for a Mycology Laboratory Assistant to help us realize our vision.
About North Spore
We’re mushrooming. Specifically, we help people grow mushrooms and as a result, are growing at an unprecedented rate. We’re passionate about cultivating food, foraging for mushrooms, and ‘Spreading the Spore’. When we launched in 2014, we were a vertically integrated mushroom farm, but have now grown into the Northeast’s premier mushroom supply and cultivation ecommerce company with a state of the art inhouse laboratory, mushroom spawn production facility, research farm, and digital education center.
As a leader in the field, we are constantly innovating and developing new products. Exponential growth, North American distribution, an ever-expanding product portfolio that goes well beyond grow kits, and a growing community of North Spore enthusiasts and social media followers. We’re at that perfect stage of growth, where we’re still small enough for you to make a major difference, while big enough to have resources to do amazing things.
About the Job
We are seeking a candidate that is skilled in laboratory work to join our team. This position will work closely with and support the work of our Lab Manager and Head of Research and Development.
- Maintain an organized and functional laboratory space
- Help develop and maintain quality control measures and standard operating procedures
- Prepare media and other laboratory materials that support production and research activities
- Maintain North Spore’s culture bank
- Isolate, maintain and propagate strains from wild specimens and help develop new strains
- Propagate strains onto a variety of substrates in accordance with North Spore’s production schedule
- Help design and conduct trials that enhance the quality of North Spore’s product lines,
- Help design and conduct trials to develop new strains, novel indoor and outdoor cultivation techniques, and new product lines
- Communicate with our Marketing team to inform them on new research developments and advise on any specific mycology information the marketing team needs to know
- 2+ years of laboratory experience
- Thorough understanding and experience in aseptic technique
- Detail oriented with the ability to follow standard operating procedures
- Background in Mycology is not required but is strongly preferred
- Previous experience conducting research trials
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Limitless supply of fresh mushrooms and mushroom growing supplies
- 1-3 weeks paid vacation per year
- Supportive and inclusive work environment
- Rights to space in North Spore community garden
Starting schedule will be 40 hours Monday-Thursday with some flexibility after initial training period
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com