Microbiology Lab Manager – Algona, IA
The Microbiology Lab Manager is responsible for our day to day operations within the lab, researching new and upcoming opportunities for Suidae while maintaining a positive relationship with all internal and external clients. The
Microbiology Lab Manager is under general direction and works from policies and general objectives approved by the management of Suidae Health & Production.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform bacterial cultures
- Routine culture of existing isolates and diagnostic samples
- Selection and preparation of specimens
- Production of all biologics
- Track and keep record of product for regulatory compliance
- Manage and maintain isolate database
- Manage and maintain virus sample banks
- Develop and manage protocols
- Monitor and communicate diagnostic test results
- Maintain laboratory instruments and equipment including inventory coolers and freezers. Serve on alarm call list as primary. Coordinate back-up coverage when using PTO or not in Algona on a weekend.
- Research and implement new vaccine technologies for Suidae to offer within the swine industry
- Formulate batch records for vaccine bottling.
- Prepare written instructions for biologics.
- Order lab supplies for biologics production.
- Assist in completing diagnostic sample submissions
- Enter finished product inventory.
- Inspect, maintain, and document eye wash stations. Ensure safety and biosecurity of all labs.
Other duties may be assigned.
PRIMARY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Degree in Microbiology with preference given to a Master’s degree
- Strict attention to detail
- Must have good organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to plan, develop and direct the lab department
- Willingness to collaborate with other team members when necessary
- Previous experience in a microbiology lab
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30;bs
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position.