Active membership shall be maintained through the payment of dues to the MSA. The membership and publication year of the MSA runs concurrently with the calendar year. Members who renew on or before December 31 for the next calendar year receive a $10 discount on their membership dues.
To pay your membership dues with a check or money order, you may print the MSA Membership form and mail to the following address:
Mycological Society of America
2424 American Lane
Madison, WI 53704
*In order to complete the application on your computer, you will need to save a copy first.
We look forward to receiving your application for membership with the Mycologial Society of America!
Discounted Memberships: Members from lower to middle income countries (LMIC), as defined by The World Bank may request a 50% reduction in membership dues that include online only journal access. If you reside in an LMIC, and wish to request a 50% reduction of your membership fee, please contact the MSA Membership Coordinator, Cori VanGalder via email or at +1 (608) 441-1060 ext. 162.
For pricing information on different membership types and additional benefits of MSA membership, see below.
- Individual Member ($90 annually): Any person interested in the study of fungi. Privileges of individual membership include the right to vote on Society business, to hold office, to attend meetings of the Society, to appear on the program of such meetings, and to receive online access to each of the following: the official journal of the Society, the official newsletter of the Society, the membership directory, and other occasional publications.
- Post-doctoral Member ($70 annually): A full-time post-doctoral associate endorsed by his or her project investigator. Post-doctoral associates qualify for individual membership with all privileges at a reduced rate for a maximum period of five years.
- Student Member ($50 annually): A full-time student in good standing endorsed by his or her major professor or department chair. Students qualify for individual membership with all privileges at a reduced rate for a maximum period of seven years.
- Emeritus Member (Free of charge unless you would like to purchase journal access): A person who has retired from active professional employment after having been an individual member of the Society for fifteen years or more. The individual must make a request to the Executive Vice President, and upon recommendation of the Council, Society members may elect such members to emeritus status. Emeritus Members shall not pay dues, but shall retain all the privileges of individual members with the exception that they will not receive the journal. An Emeritus Member may be an Emeritus Member Subscriber who elects to receive the journal at a reduced rate.
- Life Member ($2500 one time): An individual member who pays a one-time life membership fee in an amount determined by the Council. A Life Member, upon election by the society, shall have all the privileges of an individual member.
- Family Members ($20 annually): Family of members qualifying for individual membership. One full membership fee and a reduced fee for each additional member entitle the family to a single journal and newsletter subscription; otherwise, each Family Member has the full privileges of an individual member.
- Sustaining Member ($278.00 and up annually): An individual or corporation recruited and recommended for sustaining membership by the Committee on Sustaining Membership. Sustaining Members must be must be approved by the Council. A Sustaining Member shall have the privileges of an individual member as well as those specified by the Committee on Sustaining Membership.
- Associate Member ($40 annually): An individual who wishes to receive the newsletter of the Society and/or attend the annual meetings of the Society. Associate Members will not receive the official journal of the Society and may not vote in Society elections or hold office.
- Affiliated Society ($90 annually): An organization that represents a community of interest in some aspect of mycology. Approval by Council required. Each affiliated organization shall pay annual dues as an individual member. It will receive one subscription to each publication of the Society, and it shall be entitled to one vote in the business of the Society through its president or other officially designated representative. Members of affiliated organizations shall be eligible to attend all meetings of the Society, but shall not be eligible to hold office in the Society or to vote on the business of the Society unless qualified under some other category of Society Membership.
Mycologists, students of the Fungi, mycologues, mycophiles, fungal biologists, and all persons with a personal or professional interest in fungi are cordially invited to apply for membership in the Mycological Society of America, the international professional organization that is home to mycologists based in the United States and Canada. The MSA has members from more than 40 countries, who come from academic, industrial, medical, governmental, and amateur backgrounds.
The Society’s constitution states that “The purpose of the Society is to promote and advance the science of mycology and to foster and encourage research and education in mycology in all its aspects… Membership in the Society shall be open to persons or organizations who share the stated purposes of the Society.” We welcome applications for membership from all interested persons who share our goals.
Membership in the MSA provides an opportunity to stay current with new research on fungi via the Society’s journal, Mycologia, a leader in the field, and also to learn about meetings, publications, regulatory developments, controversies, and other current activities in mycology around the world via the MSA’s newsletter Inoculum. Inoculum is available to all members online. Mycologia is available to certain membership types online, and is available for purchase in hard-copy as well.
In addition to MSA publications, MSA sponsors many other activities and programs, including our annual meeting, where researchers gather to exchange the latest information on all aspects of the fungi.
Mycologia Print Journal Subscrtiptions (only available to MSA members):
- $60 annually for US and Canada
- $85 annually for all other countries