Mycologist – Sustainable Bioproducts, Inc
Mycologist - Sustainable Bioproducts, Inc
Sustainable Bioproducts (SBP; sustainablebioproducts.com) is a rapidly expanding food biotech company that has developed a breakthrough platform for the production of highly-nutritious sustainable foods. The technology stems from NASA supported research on the geomicrobiology of hot springs in Yellowstone National Park. SBP is partnering with two of the world’s largest food companies as well as venture capital and government agencies to bring delicious, non-animal, protein-rich foods to consumers across the globe.
SBP’s R&D team in Bozeman, Montana is seeking a senior level mycologist to help expand its portfolio of commercially relevant fungi and advance the performance of fungi in its novel fermentation system.
- PhD or MS degree in Mycology or Microbiology
- At least 3-years of research experience on fungi
- Specific knowledge of fungal physiology, culturing methods and taxonomy
- Must be an innovative thinker with an inherent curiosity to understand how fungi live and interact with their surrounding environments
- Flexible and comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Be a transparent team player
- Self-motivated to solve problems
- Determination to lead projects and complete them in a timely and efficient manner
- Characterize and evaluate a suite of described and novel fungi
- Adapt SBP’s fermentation system for use with specific fungal strains
- Optimize culturing conditions for enhanced growth and expression of specific products
- Work directly with R&D and food applications teams to incorporate new developments into the process
- Regular reporting of data as well as discoveries and developments
- Fungal genetics
- Fungal metabolomics/biochemistry
- Imaging techniques such as confocal microscopy
- Industrial scale fermentations
SBP’s headquarters and pilot-plant build are located in Chicago, Illinois with most R&D taking place in Bozeman, Montana. The mycologist position will be in Bozeman, which is home to Montana State University, a top-tier research institution and partner with SBP. Located near Yellowstone National Park, the area is well known for its scenic beauty and opportunity for a myriad of outdoor activities.