Special Topics Award Information
Special Topics Award Information
These awards support studies in the area of Applied Mycology. The awards will be used to support investigations involving applications of fungi to practical and innovative problems. Examples of topics responsive to this request include: bioremediation, bioprospecting, food or crop protection, bioenergy production, ecosystem sustainability and many others. Proposals may include budgets requesting funds for research expenditures, travel (e.g. to support training in a host laboratory or a workshop), or equipment purchase. We anticipate making multiple awards.
Application deadline: May 30, 2019
Award amount: We anticipate granting several awards ranging from $2,000-$10,000 each.
- Applicants must be current members of MSA or must have applied for membership at the time of the award application.
- A completed Google Form with the following documents attached:
A curriculum vitae that includes at least (maximum 3 pages):
- Name, contact address, email address, and phone number
- Education and professional history
- Previous awards and honors
- Publications and other significant professional output if available
- Service if available
- A detailed plan of study. The text of this plan of study must be no longer than 5 pages; including tables, figures, and references. Applications that include proposals exceeding the 5-page limit will not be considered. The text of this proposal should be single-spaced and printed in a regular sized font (10 cpi or 12 point) with one-inch margins on all sides, section headings and double spacing between paragraphs may be used to make your proposal easier to read. The proposal must include:
- Abstract (200-250 words)
- Introduction: explains what you want to do and why it is interesting or important
- Methods: demonstrates that the project is feasible and describes how the study will be conducted
- Significance and preliminary results, if applicable (be concise in your explanation)
- Budget and budget justification. Include in this section a timeline to complete the proposal (generally one year) and a plan for dissemination of results
To Apply: Complete the Google Form application, which will prompt you to include the items outlined above as a single file PDF. The application file should be organized in the same order as described in “Documents Required” and should not exceed more than 8 MB. The file name should contain: the last name of the applicant -“award name” Application (e.g. Smith-Translational Application). All documents must be in English to be considered.
Note: Applicants can expect a notification email from the Awards Committee regarding the outcome of their application within approximately 45 days of the application deadline.
- All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a picture (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please send your bio and picture to the MSA Awards Coordinator. The biographies will be published in Inoculum.
- The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
- Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form (this form will be provided with the check). This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number. The W-9 form needs to be filled out right after the award ceremony or sent to the MSA treasurer within two weeks of receiving your award.
- Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
- Each awardee will contribute a report with the results of their award. MSA award coordinator will be contacting the awardees with additional information.
- Please acknowledge MSA in any products that result from this support (e.g., poster presentations, oral presentations, and scientific articles).