The USDA ARS (NRRL) culture collection is advertising for a GS 12-14 Microbiologist to serve as a curator and to conduct research related to the collection. This is an outstanding opportunity to advance microbiological science and to utilize this unique resource to conduct high-impact research. The advertisement is now posted on USAJOBS. NRRL is a world leading collection with around 100,000 accessions of bacteria and fungi. It includes a Patent Repository under the Budapest treaty.
This position is located at the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Services (ARS), Mycotoxin Prevention and Applied Microbiology Unit, located in Peoria, IL
The primary purpose is to serve as curator in the ARS Culture Collection providing technical direction and guidance on the acquisition, maintenance, characterization, and distribution of microbial cultures, and conducts research on microbiological diversity to support the ARS mission.
- Provides technical direction and guidance on the acquisition, maintenance, and characterization of microbial cultures.
- Plans, and organizes, and carries out effective and efficient conservation of microbial resources with responsibility for making observations, evaluations, and interpretation of data of diverse microbial characteristics.
- Reports research on the genetic and phenotypic diversity, systematics, and taxonomy of microbial populations or species.
- Conducts research on microbial diversity to support the mission and objectives of the ARS Culture Collection
- Provides technical and administrative supervision to laboratory and other personnel as may be assigned.
- Oversee the ARS Culture Collection?s database management to enhance inventory control, enable researchers to identify desired strains, and facilitate fulfillment of customer requests for germplasm.
- Provides technical and administrative supervision to laboratory personnel as may be assigned.
- Is responsible for making selections for positions, assigning duties, reviewing work, approving/disapproving leave, and evaluating performance.
Conditions of Employment:
- You must be a US Citizen or US National
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
Degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the basic requirement above, all applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. Specialized experience must be described for each grade level advertised. The specialized experience requirements for this position are:
For additional information, please see: